Saturday, October 15, 2011

God's Gift of Play

For the past couple years, we have been promising the kids a playset, or a "play" as they fondly call them.
We went to stores and looked at "plays".
 L and I did research online on "plays".
We talked to the kids about what they wanted in a "play". 

One thing L and I agreed on - "Plays" were stinkin expensive.  So we started saving.

When we lived in Texas, we would say, "When we get to our house in Kansas, we will get one."

and we got to Kansas, and it just didn't fit into the budget and we figured... "We'll save some more and get one."

and L got a new job and we moved to Indy...and we started saving 

There were a couple times where I even almost purchased one online.  I had it all picked out, it was on sale, the shipping was free.....We had the money saved, but something kept us from clicking that "Complete Transaction" button.....

and then we found out we were having another set of twins.  And needed to put a bathroom in the basement.  And there went the Play.

And then early last month, our neighbors ended up being given a very nice 4 or 5 year old set from some friends.  It had been semi-disassembled, was a little "rickety", and looked a little worn.  Our neighbors set out digging out their grass and building a frame in their yard, filling it with mulch, and getting it ready to set up the playset in the middle of it.  L went over and helped with the digging out of the grass, the setting up of the ties, and the leveling of the area.  This project took our neighbors a long time, even with assistance, and halfway into it our neighbors asked us, "Do you want the set?"

They had decided with all the time and investment it took to build the frame in the yard, they didn't want to spend the additional time it was going to take to actually get the playset set up in their yard.  They decided they'd just go buy a new set, have it assembled, and not worry about it any more.

L and I were amazed.  They didn't want any money, were just going to give us this playset.  They saw us as taking it off their hands- helping them out. We coulnd't believe it.

So, L and a couple neighbors moved the set in pieces over to our yard.  He and I spent a whole day powerwashing it.  The kids were so excited... They spent most of that afternoon watching us wash it off...

The next day L (with some help from some more awesome neighbors) tightened up all the bolts and set the whole thing up. With 2 days of moving it into our yard, they were playing on it.

The next weekend I spent staining it. L added the canvas top, and we were ready to roll.
And for the cost of some new bolts, 2 pieces of wood that needed to be replaced, and the amazing generosity of our dear neighbors, we have a beautiful "Play" in our backyard.  And that set has been played and played and played on already - what an amazing gift.  It's become a kinda "kid" gathering spot for all the kids around us.  

While browsing on the internet, I came across this saying.....
Pinned Image


Kinda summed up the "Play" I thought.....

God's been working so much through the people around us - the beautiful playset is just one example.  Every time I look outside and see the kids playing on it, I remember how blessed and cared for we are. Amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment