Friday, August 13, 2010

State Fair Sights

We chose probably the hottest day ever to go to the State Fair, but it was $2 corn dogs all day, so we HAD to go!  I think we all lost about 10 lbs in water weight from sweating so much, but the kids had a great time and my pants fit better when we got home, so it was all worth it!

Stop #1 - Swine Building. 
Baby pigs = adorable. 
Lots of pigs in one un-airconditioned building = pee yew! 
K held his nose the entire time we were in there and kept asking to leave.  G wanted to jump in the pen and pet them.
Stop #2 - Pig Races! 
Straight from Nickerson, Kansas no less! 
Who knew the Jayhawk state could produce such national treasures?
Stop #3 - Harness Racing Horses. 
Actually, this wasn't open to the public but the horse owner saw the kids peeping in trying to get a peek of the horses and let us in for an up close look. 
We all got to pet "Sexy Lady" (luckily the kids didn't pick up on the name) and watch them feed her.  Very cool!
Stop #4 - Farming Experience
The kids got to "re-enact" all the things a farmer would do during a day.  First step was gathering eggs...
Then you fed some grain to the animals
Picked some apples and vegetables
Rode the tractor (I don't think many Indiana farmers have the pink version, but E sure liked it)
And milked a cow.  G was very disappointed that real milk didn't come out, which led to a long conversation about why milk spoils and water doesn't...

Stop #5 - Really Bad Puppet Show
Kids thought it was hilarious and I thought was terrible.  Plot was week, humor was tacky, needed more special effects...
Maybe I'm not the best judge of puppet shows?

Stop #6 - Lunch
I know they are horrible for you, but man these were good!

Stop #7 - Farm Animal Petting

Final Stop - Snow cones for the ride home!!!
We only scratched the surface of the state fair sights (we missed the giant cheese sculpture!), so I am sure we will head back for another visit before the festivities end!

No comments:

Post a Comment