Monday, May 24, 2010

Indy Adventure #2 - Indianapolis Motor Speedway

L scored some tickets to a practice session for the Indy 500, so the kids and I headed out last Thursday to check it out. I was very proud of myself for navigating us across town to the track, and it turned out to be a great field trip. We got to park inside the track, so we actually drove under the track to get to the parking area. I didn't realize how huge the racetrack was, but it went on and on forever. In fact, there is even a golf course inside the track! K has become very interested in race cars, so this was an especially cool adventure for him. Things I learned about the Indy 500...
1: The cars are incredibly loud - the foam earplugs I brought for the kids were probably not near enough ear protection
2: 200 + mph is VERY fast - I tried to get a picture of the kids with a car driving behind them. My trigger finger and camera were not quite adequate so that pic wasn't happenin. Check out the video on the previous post to see what I mean.
3: Indy car fans like to drink lots of beer, whenever! We were at the track from 1-3 in the afternoon. It was a practice session - just a couple cars out on the track testing it out, and there were tons of people in the stands taking care of business if you know what I mean :)

Here is my attempt at getting Greyson in a pic with a car in the background. If you look in the top right corner at the red blur, that would be the Indy car driving by...





Pretty much all E cared about was the snacks...She didn't even flinch when the cars would drive by.


Right before we left, a lady handed me $15 in Brickyard Bucks that she said she wasn't going to use. Apparently they are just like cash there at the speedway, so we splurged on some pretty awesome Ben and Jerry's treats from a vendor. The gianormous ice cream cones may be what the kids remember most....



No comments:

Post a Comment